Thursday, March 17, 2011

Red Riding Hood's cape.

I made a Little Red Riding Hood cape today for Caitlin.  And I even have a labrador wolf to help with the story.

Hurry up and tell your sewing story. I want to play!

The pattern comes from the book Little Things to Sew.  I think it took me about 2 hours to cut and construct the cape.  It was really simple and easy.
However, the smallest size (size medium) fits up to size 4 and Caitlin barley fits into size 2.  So I took 5/8 seam allowances hoping to shrink the overall size somewhat.  She'll just have to grow in to it.  It's supposed to be for dress-up anyway.



About 8 years ago I found this wonderful Little Red Riding Hood fabric by Marcus Brothers.  I bought a meter hoping that one day I would be a Grandmother and I could make something with it for a grandbaby.  So when I saw the book "Little Things to Sew" I knew right away I could use that fabric for lining on the Cape pattern.

"Here Red. Take this obscure looking food to your Granny in the woods."




Why Grandma. You look an awful lot like a labrador!"


Hope this isn't poison ivy.

I even covered the button with the fabric.

Self portrait.

It's difficult to take a photo of the cape so I asked my assistant to help out.

Don't you just hate dog owners. They're nuts.

I also bought the book Little Red Riding Hood so Caitlin can wear the cape while someone reads the story to her.


It's a fun little book with pop up windows revealing parts of the story.




I want to make 3 little dolls to go with the book but like every Granny that lives in the woods, I've got some chores to look after first.

When all this wood gets split and stacked, there are a couple of little outfits cut and ready to go.


It's not such a daunting task Lucy. Your predecessor, Rosie, loved helping.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm a sucker for a cute dog. :) (The cape is cute too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-my-word, I love this cape! I'm envious of this cape. :) The Little Red Riding Hood fabric lining the inside! You've done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog today because I was searching for that exact same fabric! That cape (and your entry about it, too!) is precious. Would you be MY grandmother?!? Your little granddaughter is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete